Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Why La Retraite?
Cultivating Passion – Realising Potential – Committed to Excellence
La Retraite Roman Catholic Girls’ School is a collaborative, diverse and dynamic school, where innovative teaching and learning is the norm.
Firmly rooted within our local community, we pride ourselves on our reputation: 140 years of experience in education, a long history of academic success, high standards and an inclusive Catholic ethos. Every student is provided with a wealth of experiences and resources and equipped with the knowledge and skills required to fulfil their ambitions and make their mark in tomorrow’s world.
This constant pursuit of excellence is not only for the outcomes of our students, but matched for our greatest asset, our staff.
Recognised as an Outstanding School by Ofsted, La Retraite is underpinned by the commitment and support of staff. By joining our team, you join a team of dedicated, like-minded, passionate colleagues in a welcoming staff body. Our Catholic ethos welcomes students and staff of all faiths and none, an eclectic network of partnerships enhances our offer to our whole community and a culture that is supportive and ambitious for one other forms our traditional, yet innovative school.
Investing in You
Professional development is extremely important to us. We understand the pivotal role our staff play in ensuring students make the progress we desire for them. We have invested in a range of professional development opportunities for our staff. These include, but are not limited to:
- A 10-week (1 day per week) detailed induction programme for NQTs and New Staff with extensive training in a range of interventions and practises (Safeguarding, H&S, Catholic Ethos, SEN/EAL, teaching with technology, Oracy, Metacognition)
- Two weeks of paid work for newly qualified teachers in July for a September start
- Dedicated weekly mentor hour for NQTs and PGCEs
- Leadership Programme for different levels of responsibility (NPQM, NPQS, NPQH)
- Inner London pay
- Well-being programme
- Inset sessions on Teaching with Technology and Blended Learning
- Training sessions on Oracy and Literacy
- T-level training
- Cross-curricular working parties to develop teaching and learning and share best practice across the school
- Access to different online training platforms (SSS, National College)
- Support to attend subject-specific CPD courses
- Internal department training
- Royal Navy training for designated staff.
A Rewarding Career
We recognise the importance of developing and sustaining creative, productive and empowering working environments in which our staff can flourish. To enhance and support day-to-day life working at La Retraite, we offer unique benefits related to the individual, and working environment. Some of which include:
- Inner London weighting
- Free tea and coffee, and spacious staff room
- Dedicated wellbeing programme: Staff Wellbeing Afternoons, the Heath Assured Employee Assistance Scheme and access to an onsite staff counsellor
- Benenden Membership (healthcare scheme)
- Positive teaching environment: computer suites, spacious classrooms, interactive whiteboards, modern technology, a well-resourced library, state-of-the-art Sixth Form centre, dedicated science labs and much more
- We endorse the Cycle-to-Work scheme and childcare vouchers
- Staff social events are organised throughout the academic year
- Regular onsite massages
- Working in Lambeth offers a competitive employment package, an attractive working environment and strong prospectus to support and enhance your professional working life. A vibrant borough just 18 minutes from the centre of London, we are well connected through excellent transport links
- A wealth of unique sights, attractions and activities on your doorstep to benefit you in your free time and provide exciting learning opportunities beyond the classroom
- A culturally rich borough: closely situated to the Tate Modern, Imperial War Museum, Shakespeare’s Globe, Lambeth Palace, Streatham Ice Rink, Norwood Park, Brixton O2 Academy, Brixton Market and Village, a plethora of theatres, and so much more.
What can you expect from us?
- Relationships between staff are based on mutual respect and developmental feedback. Senior leaders encourage staff through clear leadership and a meaningful vision for the school
- The potential and commitment of all staff are recognised and rewarded
- We value strong partnerships with our whole school community: parents, families and Governors
- Positive engagement with networks, professionals and organisations
- Strong, visionary and successful leadership
- An emphasis on a positive home: life balance
- A highly skilled, supportive and approachable network of colleagues.
Hear from Matthew Dutton, Assistant Headteacher on why he joined La Retraite
With a passion for making education stimulating and engaging and supporting students to overcome barriers to learning, our Assistant Headteacher joined us over 7 years ago during his teacher training period and has progressed with ambition to his current position.
It is the sense of community, shared values, diverse population of students and progressive students with a hunger for learning which makes his role fulfilling and rewarding. Citing the teaching profession at La Retraite as a privilege, a challenge, and a joy.
As Assistant Headteacher, he sees the future of the school as only further enhancing and enriching the lives of our students, through working alongside the Leadership Team with this common goal and shared vision, which he believes is a key contributor to the school’s success. He looks forward to developing the school’s response to digital learning and pioneering new ways of supporting students to excel in the changing world of education, both inside and outside the classroom.
“Working with aspirational students and helping to support the accomplishment of these was a major draw to a career in teaching – and La Retraite School is one like no other. I am inspired to improving the life chances of our young girls and making a real impact on their outcomes, within a long-standing and committed staff team who contribute and exceptional blend of expertise, passion, care and devotion to every child. Our teachers believe there are no limits to the success our students can achieve, and this makes every day rewarding."