Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Events & Excursions
Since the introduction of the Scholarship Programme at the start of the 2014 academic year, students have participated in a brilliant range of events and excursions, including university visits and open days, subject-specific conferences, in-house guest speakers, and skills and employability workshops.
- A variety of guest speakers have visited La Retraite to speak to Scholarship Programme students. Former students, Eva Dema, Ellen Brewster and Fiona Asiedu, currently studying at Cambridge, Oxford and Harvard University, visited students to advise on how to be successful with their applications to Oxbridge and Russell Group universities. Years 12 and 13 benefitted from a Mindfulness Talk which gave students advice on coping through pressure and staying positive. Other notable guest speakers have included Chuka Umunna, MP for Streatham, Alastair Campbell, Baroness Young of Hornsey, Kitty Ussher, former Labour Party politician, and journalist Sir Trevor McDonald.
Skills Workshops and Events
- Students have benefitted from professional advice on a range of topics. Year 12 students have taken part in Professional Skills Workshop, which provided advice on networking, personal brand promotion, interview techniques, and advice for writing an outstanding CV. Year 11 students attended PiXL’s ‘Getting into Top Universities’ event and Oxbridge Varsity Day, to understand the skills necessary for their applications to be accepted at leading universities. KS3 students attended an interactive STEM conference.
- We provide students with the opportunity to attend career- and subject-specific events so that they can fully understand the variety of potential career pathways available to them. Whilst students may aspire to work within a specific profession, such as medicine, they may be unsure as to the multitude of possible careers available to them; through such events, students are able to gain a comprehensive view on their desired industry. Such events have included: the Medical Women’s Federation conference, attended by leading figures from across the medical industry; the ‘Inspiring Women in Legal’ event, held by the Bank of America Merrill Lynch; and the Livery showcase, which features employers from a range of industries include law, banking, craft trades, and technology.
University Open Days
- We offer excursions to visit leading universities and institutions. Students from Years 11 and 12 have visited St John’s College Cambridge and Jesus College, Oxford, for taster days and subject workshops. Year 12 students have also attended University of London’s undergraduate course fair, to see the wide range of colleges and courses available at this prominent institution.
- We also aim to inspire our students and motivate them towards exceeding all expectations. Year 10 students attended the Women of the Future Ambassador’s Reception, where they were able to network with prominent and influential women from a range of sectors. On International Women’s Day, students attended the Mayor of London’s Office, which hosted a number of inspirational professional women from a variety of STEM professions. Year 12 students also attended the Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Conference at Trinity College, Cambridge, to experience a taste of life at Cambridge, and meet with inspirational BME women currently studying at the university. A team of Year 12 students will be competing in the Sheriffs Challenge again this year.
- Students interested in medicine meet to explore and discuss articles, podcasts and recent news. Guest speakers have attended sessions to give insight into the healthcare profession. Students are encouraged to follow the medic road map.